Sunday, February 25, 2024

Two old guys, yet one Party is luckier than the other

 

First of all I must be missing something. I know most people are accepting that Biden and Trump will be the respective nominees of their Party. And I know it has been discussed here and there that both are old and what might happen if one of them were to pass away. Yet I haven’t seen this dominate any political landscape and the major issues it might cause one party if their presumptive nominee passes away.

I cannot believe that there isn’t a significant hum in the background noise about this happening. Everyone complains about the other candidate being too old. Their cognitive capabilities aside either one of them could pass away at any given moment. And yes I realize that people in worse health than either one has lived well into their eighties. Yet the possibility that one if not both could actually pass away between now and November is real.

Which brings me to this thought. Everyone in the Republican Party that is high on Trump wants Ms. Haley to concede and drop out of the race. Much to their chagrin that is the last thing they want. Here is the strangest rub. The reality is that some that support Trump probably won’t go out and vote for Ms. Haley. That is actually not that much of a problem. Most moderate Trump supporters will vote for her because they don’t want Biden. She will only lose that most radicalized of the Trump supporters. She will more than make up those votes with non Trump Republicans and independents. The Republicans need her to stay in the race as a back up plan. At this point and this is just opinion, but I don’t think Ron DeSantis can come back and garner enough support to become the nominee. If he tries and forces a floor fight at the convention, he splits the party and guarantees the Democrats win even if the candidate is Kamala Harris.

Which leads me to the Democrats problem. Kamala Harris will lose to either Trump or Haley. Independents are not getting excited about Harris so would stay home even if Trump is the candidate. She does not have enough time to make a name for herself. Yes die hard Democrats will support her, but that will not be enough to overcome her lack of headlines now. The closer we get to November, the worse and worse things get for the Democrats if Biden were to pass away. Even though Kamala Harris is Vice President, too many people do not know enough about her to go out and vote for her.

And if the Democrats try to nominate someone else they split the Party and lay one big egg in November.

The Republicans by Haley staying in the race have a built in back up plan as long as Ron doesn’t poop the party at the Convention. And will be in a much better place to win than the Democrats. Haley will have huge name recognition for having stood up to Donald to the very end. This will be attractive to independents which hands her the race.

Again many people live well into their eighties so this scenario may never play out, but if I was a Republican donor or operative who wasn’t cultistly tied to Trump, I would quietly encourage her to stay in the race.

Yet for people like me, who see both parties as having failed this country, and not that I want anyone to pass away, it would be quite fun to see two explosive floor fights at both conventions with both parties so damaged that an independent could win enough to create the most interesting election in the history of the country. What happens if no one gets to 270 electoral votes and we have tied House, okay one vote majority, and Senate which might happen. And yes the House could go really crazy with all the factions that might be created, the hard right, the freedom caucus, moderate Republicans and Democrats, the far left and leave us with one wild ride of uncertainty that would make last year’s 15 votes for Speaker seem mundane.

Historically this seems absolutely absurd that something like this would happen. Currently I am more than surprised that this isn’t on more radars publicly. Next week is March and by the end of the month all the presumptions will be in concrete. And then the headlines say….now I lay me down to sleep I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take.

 

Life can be quite interesting some days. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment