Sunday, March 10, 2024

Cabrini: some thoughts and I have a critique of Father Mike Schmitz’s one critique

 

If you have not seen the movie Cabrini, go see it even if you are not Catholic or Christian or any religion. It is a well made movie and it is great. Yes, it is about a Catholic Saint, but there is much more to it than a pious film about a Saint, which leads me to my critique of Father Schmidt’s critique.

But first if you haven’t seen it, stop, see it then come back to this post. I am about to describe some of the scenes in the movie and I don’t want to be the spoiler guy.

Father Schmitz overall is right on target with his thoughts on this movie. He describes it well and presents an excellent discussion. His review is on youtube so you can see for yourself. He states his one critique with the movie is God or Christ is not emphasized enough. He then states this is not a Church film, this is a main stream film. Yet this is not the point I want to make. And my point is God is in the movie, it is the quiet part not said. The better half put it well, this is a movie about a Saint in action.

And that is one part of what is Christ in the movie. We revere God, Christ, yet we do not always have to say it. One of the primary teachings of the Church is to live our life as Christ lived his. Mother Cabrini does this and it is in the film. Her actions, her acts of love made in the face of all her adversaries and adversities show something that she has, faith. I too came out of the movie and wanted it said somewhere in the movie that it was her faith that gave her the strength to do what she did. Like Father Schmidt wanting more emphasis on God in her life, I wanted some recognition of her faith emphasized. Yet as I now critique Father Schmitz I realize the strength of the movie. It is the unspoken faith, the unspoken devotion to following God’s will that gives the movie more power.

Sure some people who do not want the Church to succeed or want to criticize the Church are saying this movie is more about a strong woman and will not concede what is behind her strength. Yet the movie is so well made a person has to ask themselves what gives her this strength, what helps her persevere when no one is behind her. You have to ask yourself how does a woman in the late 1800’s go to an all male world and conquer them and obtain what some will say what she wants. We know in reality it is God’s will that marches her on. Who says to people I want to create an empire of hope? Where does this come from?

And when you see that her actions have a foundation of love, it becomes obvious that there is more than just one determined woman involved. For people who may not believe for whatever reason though this movie can open them up to asking themselves these questions. Her life, her work, her love for the children and the sick are all what Christ asks us as Christians to do. For a person who has not been brought up on Christian teaching the movie can inspire them to think, reflect and ponder what drove this woman to such efforts. This is where God or more specifically the Holy Spirit comes in. Once a person starts asking questions, once their heart opens a tad, once they think, what is behind all this, then they will look for answers. We, as Christians, know the answers, yet if we try to force them it does not always work.

We are to evangelize, and in this case and all cases the we is spelled with a capital “I”. It is our responsibility to bring souls to Christ. Yet telling people about Christ so they know he exists is one approach, yet a true conversion a true understanding of the need for repentance doesn’t come with the vocal word, it is when a heart opens and lets the Holy Spirit touch on the longing we all have to what can truly bring us joy. This movie shows a Saint in action and gives the fence sitters, the non believers, the atheist, the agnostic food for thought.

I do not want to compare myself to any Saint, and I say this to illustrate a point. The greatest compliment anyone has ever given me was when I left one of my employments the person in charge said you could see Christ in me in my work and what I did. I never went around telling people they needed to convert to save their soul. I never preached, but this recognition that I do try to treat all people with real respect and it was noticed in the little things I do every day is a compliment like no other.  By no means at all was I like Mother Cabrini, but it was the notice of the simple things I did for others each day and recognizing it was one of the best moments of my working life and it left me speechless. Again it is us living as Christ that shows the world Christ. Mother Cabrini does this so well and the movie gives us this in all Christ’s glory without ever having to say Christ.

So Father Mike Schmitz, you know so much more than I. And I know this because I do listen to your work and teachings, yet I truly think you missed this very important nuance. I ask you to remember the final scene of where she is drowning and then comes a man that sees her and reaches down to her and you see her looking up to see the help she needs and then he rescues her. This scene comes at the point in the movie when she received the strength she needs to overcome the final obstacles to get what she needs to start the success of her mission. Just because no one says God or emphasizes God, you see God, not in the individual man, but in the help, him pulling her up to live so she can become the Saint we now admire. The example she gives us to emulate. Many of us may never become Saints like her, but if us who are already Christians become inspired to be more Christ like similar to her or those who have not yet seen Christ in their lives open their hearts and begin to ask the questions then the emphasis of God is seen and hence is there.

YBIC

 

Cheers!.

No comments:

Post a Comment