Monday, February 9, 2015

One Shade of confusion




As you know the infamous novel Fifty Shades of Gray is now coming out as a movie. And this is all well and dandy if this is what entertains you, but I do have one thought.

I have not read the book, but from what I have heard this is about a woman who submits herself to the very particular interests of one man. Basically she agrees to be his sex toy or something. And this is where my confusion comes into play.

This movie is coming out on Valentine’s Day weekend. And I guess as a chick flick/date movie. So if I love and respect someone or am trying to impress a woman to date me why would I want to take this woman to a movie that basically shows it is okay for a woman to be disrespected as a person and degraded as a human being.
Some people may say I am out of touch or something, but seriously for a woman to actually consent to this type of relationship shows a person that has no self respect and is easily manipulated. Is this something in the 21st century we really want to hold up as something to go see. We hear so much about woman being abused etc... what message are we now sending if this movie is popular?

On the meter I am more sinner than saint, but there is a difference between acting crazy versus denigrating another human being.

The book was popular so the movie probably will be too. I just hope that most women realize that this is not something to aspire to in a way a man treats her. It seems weird to glamorize this type of relationship on the very day I am trying to show a woman how much I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment