Sunday, January 22, 2012

new email law for Brazil and comments

Listening to the radio the other morning they said in Brazil that there is a law under consideration that corporations must pay people if they access work email at home, basically I guess saying if you work at home you should get paid for it. The people on the morning show were discussing it, and basically one of them was saying that corporations shouldn't have to pay for extra time.

And to me this is another issue in our society. This acceptance that we must always put the company first. That our time is not our time and that our whole world MUST revolve around work. Now I am not against doing work at home, getting things done etc,,, but the idea that everything goes to work first is one of the reasons why we have problems in society. This is idea that we must bend over backwards just to make shareholders richer is insane.

Think about all the issues in our society that get put on the back burner by people who spend their whole life working and not realizing or addressing the problems we face. This is one of those blogs where I could go on forever, but a few thoughts here.

First of all the concept of working all the time should be to get ahead, either financially or in the corporation, we should not be expected to work all the time if we aren't making a decent enough wage just to keep up. It is becoming expected that whatever the corporation wants and wants to pay us for it is normal. Folks look at yourself in the mirror. Why should you give your whole life to an organization that at the drop of a hat will lose you. I believe in capitalism, but not at the expense of being a human being. If a corporation wants me to work all the time they need to pay me for the time. If I want to get ahead I can work extra to do so, but I shouldn't be expected to forgo my life, family, my soul, my children's education, etc, just so some productivity report looks good.

I want to be rich, but I am not getting so working for someone else. So I should not be expected to make that person rich without some compensation for it. I see way too many that just buy into the fact that the corporation can rule their life. Folks that is inherently wrong. And if you don't see that then don't complain about your children, the public school system, the way the government runs, your personal life, others, crime, street repairs, the list goes on. We as a society need time to be a part of society. that includes being involved with your community, church if you go, family, understanding what goes on in your child's life, spending time with them even when grown, and the list goes on.

And something else that drives me crazy and I know you can see it too. It is people at work who spend the whole day socializing at work, but looking busy, then stay extra, or take work home to look like they are working extra. Corporations really need to look at what they expect from people and quit rewarding blowhards with promotions. That would cure some productivity problems in a heartbeat. I am not saying people shouldn't work extra to get ahead or if something happens and there is an immediate need to get something done, yeah you may have to work extra. We all know once on salary you do give up some of your time. It is the expectation that the corporation is your life that needs to be changed and it must start with you.

How can we expect to improve our selves and our society if the only thing that matters is pleasing some entity that in the long run could care less about you?

Oops got to run, will get back to this later

No comments:

Post a Comment