Friday, February 14, 2014

Voter ID laws



I have to be honest I have not paid too much attention to voter ID laws until they just hit home. Recently the better half and I got letters saying there might be a discrepancy between our voters registration and our IDs. And these are minor. I can't find the letter again, but I think it was that one had my middle initial and one had my full middle name. If they are being this particular this is a bit much. I have been voting for decades so I am a bit upset.

This situation is not to prevent fraud. This is potentially a real problem. Even if they are just being over zealous in following the law it will cause some illegitimate headaches at the voters booth. Three groups are going to be most affected. The poor, who usually don't pay attention to these matters; the middle class, where people are so busy with 2-3 jobs and kids they put this at the bottom of the list of to dos; and two groups of non Anglo descendants Latinos and Asians. These two cultures sometimes have either changed names or have such long ones they may not always match from ID to ID.


And yes I know these are suppose to prevent fraud, but there maybe way more legitimate voters disenfranchised than fraud prevented. And for both Democrats and Republicans fighting for votes they are doing more harm than good with these new laws.





And now from the ultra bad pun dept: I find the tea party is not my cup of politics.

This is so obvious that somebody has probably said it, but what the hey.


And I hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment