Friday, March 14, 2014

Setting up the scorecard


First of all, Spring is right around the corner and I am sure many of you are more than ready.

Primary season has technically started with the Texas election and as I thought not much learned. We knew the Republicans would all be sitting on each other's laps on the far right side of the couch. One thing we might get in Texas is an interesting Governor's race. Unfortunately it will be very partisan. Both sides, no matter what they say, will only be giving lip service to moderates and centrists.

The Florida special election was a big deal with the press and I read a few articles talking if this was a harbinger of things to come in November. My opinion is no on two levels. First I don't think one election affects the whole country. It was close. And a Libertarian candidate got 4% of the vote. Now historically a libertarian vote would pull from conservatives, but right now I am not sure. Probably still generally conservative, we will see. And this brings me to my second point and I misspoke my no. For my second point I think it will be the same in November. For all the talk about "throwing the bums out" the Libertarian only got 4% of the vote. How can we give less than 20% approval to Congress's rating and yet there is no increase in support for another party or independent candidate. Even though the two major party candidates weren't in Congress they still come from the same Dem. or Rep. blood that has always been there. Some polls even state that about 1/2 the country call themselves independent or have no party affiliation especially among younger voters we only get 4% for the alternative. So my point as always until we change that number we cannot expect anything better.

So November, I am afraid will still be the same in this one respect. Not that I want it that way, I just fear this awful truth. So people of the US please prove me wrong. Otherwise I don't see our Congress doing anything for the middle class anytime soon.

Illinois is next week, D.C. is April 1st, then things really get going in May and June. At that point we will see if the tea party is beginning to continue their surge. And unless something really starts changing we won't know till November if any true change has garnered any momentum.

For now we have March Madness to enthrall us. Good luck to your school and Hook 'em Horns.

Have a fun filled St Patrick's day weekend and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment