Saturday, July 12, 2014

A few things



First of all the prosperity gospels are like worshiping false idols. I am not a theologian or know Bible verses by heart, but I don't think Jesus ever said follow me and you will receive multitude of riches, just don't think that is in there.

That being said I was somewhat impressed by what I heard the other night coming from someone on the surface and church I would not have expected to hear this. The person stated the preacher said you don't have to give to the church. In fact some of the congregation's tithing could, if not should, go directly to the poor.

Have you ever driven down a road or highway and seen those signs highway adopted by xyz organization etc.. and you wonder well...... We were up early today and lo and behold there were about ten to fifteen people out with the little plastic gloves on and trash bags cleaning up the side of the road we were traveling.

The other day I was walking through downtown by my work and quite honestly I have been pretty ticked at the world lately so I couldn't have been walking around with a big ole smile on my face, but just about everybody I passed acknowledged me in some way. They either smiled, nodded their head, and a FEW even said hi. I was beginning to feel a bit self conscious or something like these people knew something about me or something (like I pissed myself) Heck even the people at the bus stop looked up and acknowledged me as I passed. Flipping me out. A tourist randomly came up to me and asked me to take a picture of him sitting by a local landmark. At this point I am starting to feel guilty about my attitude. So I am like ready to take a few pictures so this guy gets what he wants, but he seemed quite pleased with the one picture and he went about his merry way. He had some European accent and all.


Anyway a few minor faith restored stories, now back to the regular BS.

If you read my blog regularly you know I am out to change our energy dynamic, however, truth be told I love road trips. A contradiction I have to admit to when it comes to using gasoline. I just love the solid sound of car doors shutting at dawn then pulling out of the driveway, family falling back to sleep as I start whatever destination is in store. The sun low in the sky reflecting out of the mirrors, the quiet of the highway at that hour, the openness especially when you get out of the city, and getting those first 2-3 hours in before everyone wakes up and starts wanting breakfast. And even when they are awake it is always great to be out far from civilization cruising to tunes and laughter. Yep we have put some serious miles over the years out west. One of these days I hope to get to big sky country.. Montana Wyoming etc.. And get some huge air under the tires and just go. Hopefully someday someone will make an electric car that can handle it.

Yes I am Grandpa nowadays, but I still love listening to a little Yes in the background. "seasons will pass you by, I get up /// I get down///..."

So enough of Lebron, will my Mavericks get to keep Chandler Parsons? I haven't seen any news so I hope Houston hasn't matched the Mavericks offer. Maybe not the biggest horse in free agency and the Mavericks may have paid a bit too much, but getting 25 year potential star is definitely a positive for the team especially getting Tyson back. Losing Calderon means we still need a few more pieces, but a bit of hope for next year.

And I have no idea what to say about the Texas Rangers except maybe we can bring some youth up to get their feet wet in the big leagues the second half of the season. Things just collapsed this year.

Okay I admit it, I do have a Lebron comment. I wish I had said it out loud sooner, but somewhere after game 2 and before game five Lebron decided to go back to Cleveland, maybe subconciously, maybe more consciously, but I think he was headed back. Go back and watch the games, he looked frustrated. Once Mr. Gilbert apologized it made it real easy to go back publically, but privately I think the "decision" was made during the finals. He just couldn't admit it till he got his apology so his out.

Tomorrow is the world cup final and we are looking forward to it. I got to say I think Germany is the better team and I should be routing for them. It was some Germans I meet in college decades ago that got me interested in Soccer. I watched a few world cup games with them and really picked up on the sport as a casual fan and over the years learned much more. So I have always had a bit of an affinity for the German team. This year though we are going New World and routing for Argentina and the whole family, extended family and friends are all in. Germany maybe technically better, but going with the emotions on this one. Go Argentina. And not quite sure how Pope Benedict and Francis feel about it, but you have to love the coincidence.

Kind of dropped off my last post before truly closing my thoughts, but had to go and editing on this phone is a nightmare. Plan to pick that back up someday once I can get my thoughts back around it.

And finally it is the usual hot as heck here in Texas, but they say, yes they say we may get a cool front next week with real rain and highs in the 80's. Heck this is almost as rare as snow in July. Any day below 90 for the next 8 weeks is a shocker.

Life is good, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment