Sunday, March 12, 2023

Award show credibility or is it blahs

First let’s start with the fun question of the day which was also tweeted out earlier and I am going to add a bit to it now.

What is the difference between faith and trust? And to add to it, what is the difference between faith and trust with God? And what is the difference between faith and trust with ourselves?  And which one of these is dangerous? 

Talk amongst your self. or yourselves.

Now back to why are the Oscars or the Grammys or the Tonys or any other awards show still relevant? Are even sports awards still relevant?

I say this because how much of these awards are based on a standard criteria versus some perceived criteria. Most of these awards are voted on by “their peers” or “the media”.

This leads to so much determined by the times and what is culturally relevant. Do these awards represent what is the best right now? Or do they represent what fits into the moment? 

I struggle with an answer because the above may actually be the way it should be. Well, as long as it is the best of the times versus the loudest reaction of the times. And yes I know mixed into all this are quality endeavors that reflect the actual vehicle of the awards. 

For example tonight, I do believe that whoever wins best costume design or set design probably deserves that award. This is very technical and the whole scope of people n the industry can make a decision on who created the best in their category. It is the subjective categories that are a problem to me. And I may be the only person that has a problem. Does best film or best actor or best director come based on the work no matter the subject? Or does this subject or perception play a part in who wins? 

I do not know..

And I am not the best person to ask. When I was young I use to play music. I was one of the millions of 16 year olds that wanted to be a rock star. Eventually I played in a few clubs, tried recording demo tapes with bands I was in of music we wrote, but like millions of others that was about as far as I got. I was never a rock star, but the Grammys was important to me. I wanted to know what was going on and what made impressions with people. Since then though I have had little to no interest in the Grammys much less any other award show. 

And I am a big local team sports fan, and yet unless there might be a chance that someone from one of the Dallas’ teams might win an individual award I have no interest. I prefer that the team win a championship rather than hear of individual accolades. Some fans want to see the individual awards. I would be happy to see that happen because I am a fan, but am not watching the award show to find out.

So with the Oscars tonight, I am typing this post instead of watching because I have no confidence of what might be the best picture or who is the best director based on some long standing criteria. And what is worse I haven’t seen that many new movies in the last few years. Partly because of cost and partly because of the movies coming out. Some of my favorite movies were not block busters and I actually saw them because I rented them (back in day). 

Indie movies always had some enjoyable topic or story that was more attractive to me than what is going on in the mainstream. Not saying I haven’t seen blockbuster movies or not enjoyed them, I am just saying for me there is much more out there than what you will see highlighted tonight. 

Which may not be correct. I have not watched the Oscars in years so maybe things have changed. Shoot I do not even know what is nominated for best picture and things have changed so dramatically this post is irrelevant. I doubt it though. Something as large as Hollywood doesn’t go through drastic changes without making headlines.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment