Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A tad bit of something you may not expect


I was hearing on the news this morning that Seth MacFarland will be hosting the Oscars. I think this is the same guy that created the show Family Guy. This normally isn't something I care about, but for some strange reason it caught my attention for a completely different thought.

This may show my age. I use to watch a show called Soap. This was a great show. It had great acting, it was well written, and it was a bit controversial. And it apparently touched some nerve with the Christian right of the time because they put some pressure on the sponsors and it was taken off the air. Serious shame because in my humble opinion this was a great show and downright drop down laughing funny.

 Now we have the creator of the most crass show ever created being picked to host the Oscars and some people consider this an honor to host. So what kills me is where is the righteous indignation for a show that should not be in primetime at all. This show is definitely adult humor only. The subject matter is borderline X rated half the time, but here we are a generation later from Soap and barely a whisper of complaint. And yes I know if you don't like it don't turn it off. The problem or what scares me is the large drop in what is considered unacceptable by society. Family Guy is not just crude it is downright baseless. Yet hugely popular. Just makes you wonder where we are as a society and a culture where something as tasteless as Family Guy is not attacked as strongly as something that actually had talent as the show Soap.

 I am Christian, but I am not a fan of the so called Christian right yet I wonder where we are going as a society. I think most of us still want a sense of decency in our society. We just can't find our way anymore because of a variety of factors. More on this hopefully another time. Lunch is ending so got to get back to the grind. And not a good day in Muddville yesterday for our local sports teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment