Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Football season preview, ugh

 First, Happy Labor Day in case I do not get back to this blog beforehand. The ugly irony is the people who most deserve to celebrate Labor Day are the people who are most not able to have the day off. Ever since we became primarily a service sector economy the service sector workers get screwed the most. They should be the ones to have the day off. Could we not eat fast food or buy groceries or eat at a restaurant for one day? Or can the Amazon delivery people, or the furniture sales people, or the warehouse stores take a break. Unfortunately the people who need a break the most because of the last 18 months, the nurses, cleaning people, assisted living facility workers, doctors, first responders, etc... never get the day they deserve. We need to remember what this holiday is all about. Sure it is a general holiday, but we have way too many people that are not one percenters not getting any recognition as humans so lets give them the day.  Back to the post.


Well you know how I feel about UT leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, yet that won’t happen for a couple of years I guess. So what to expect this year?

Do I still want them to win the National Championship? Of course I do. Are they? Absolutely not. In fact it would be a large stretch for them to even make the 4 team playoff, a big maybe, but do not hold your breath.

And now for the Cowboys. And I do not have a clue this year. I do not make predictions every year, yet usually my predictions are within a game. I cannot remember if I made a prediction last year, but even if I said 9-7 or so we all know what happened so I am not going back to look.

Yet this year, too many unknowns. What is the real health of Dak? What is the real mental drive of Zeke? What is the offensive line? Seriously what is the offensive line? And by any chance is the defense remotely better even by a small percent? I haven’t been paying attention to training camp or any local articles in general or national commentary about the team so I have nothing to base a prediction. I will try and pay attention some this week and throw out a semi-educated guess before the season starts. No promises though. 

I have put $2 down on them winning the big game earlier this summer, but I think I lost the ticket so I may have to do that again. I always make my token bets on the Cowboys and Mavericks. Actually this year I made more than token bets on the Mavericks, and if they had won just one more game, hmmmmm?

I could bet on the Stars and the Rangers, but I just don’t have even the slightest bit of confidence in the Rangers for the next few years so that long shot is just too long. I just do not follow the Stars well enough to make a guess where they might land. I admit to being a very casual fan and the one person I trust to keep me up on the details of what is going on with the Stars may be moving out of state soon. What in depth info I trust I do receive will be gone. I tell you one thing though, I have been to many Stars games, well all teams, but the Stars fans do love their team. It is fun to go and watch the crowd.

With Luka, the Mavs have an outside chance of winning and the Cowboys are the Cowboys. If I don’t bet on the Cowboys, my children would start wondering if they need to put me in a home. It is just I am tired of being disappointed. It is one thing to screw up your off season, it is another to try and sugar coat it year after year trying to convince your fans you have a chance. Jerry has just spent that dime way too often. I do not trust any publicity info coming from the Cowboys even when it might hold a shred of possible truth. So for now I bet my $2 and hope. Again maybe in a week or so, I will have a better idea and will make my prediction. 

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment