Saturday, October 3, 2015

Catching up and more



Well it has been awhile. Things have been happening on the world front and the home front. Do not know where to begin and I probably won’t get to everything nor remember everything.

First of all and you have to be a Dallasite to appreciate this one, going down Central 70mph on a Saturday night starting at Walnut and heading south is always a fun thing to do nowadays. It is always busy, but at least it was flowing. You just get this weird open air tunnel feeling with the walls etc and the buildings running along the service road. Many years ago it was a nightmare to get on Central anywhere south of Plano.

We went to an interesting event this evening. As you know I am always harping on how we need to improve education in this county. Well I was partially proved wrong. There was a local school district’s fine arts program presentation and for family reasons I attended. I have to give credit where credit is due and I believe that arts etc should be a part of a well-rounded education even at the K-12 level. The program was not run well, but the performances were unexpectedly good and entertaining. I was impressed. The teachers had done a fine job of preparing their students and it also included a multi- cultural theme. There were many schools involved so that may have had something to do with managing the overall show.

This joke is probably past its timing, but don’t you get the impression that Donald Trump has never seen the movie:” A day without a Mexican”

The youngest is always good for a gem or two and tonight she quoted that she was not going to be an alcoholic, but will be an experienced drinker. She will be a wine connoisseur and go down to her wine cellar and be able to enjoy her wine.  She is young, what can you say.

Her other gem and I agreed I would do this with her and that is to go to London and in front of Buckingham Palace get a big bucket of tea and throw it all over the place and in fake British accents go around telling everyone we are having a “Tea Party”. Ah…. to be young and crazy again.

I am not a big fan of Reince Preibus and I do not know him so I have to be careful. As with any good person I have formed opinions of him not based on one iota of fact.  I cannot remember seeing him on TV for any length of time, nor have I met him, yet to me he comes off as well I better keep my mouth shut because it ain’t good. And yet again he said something that ticked off a bunch of people that I partly agree with and that is the Iowa and New Hampshire primaries maybe shouldn’t be first all the time. Now I have nothing against the people of those two states, there are very good reasons not to change them, and I am a traditionalist so I like things staying the same, but I think his statement should be given some more thought.  They do have the experience of really breaking down the candidates so changing who goes first may actually hurt the process, but also at some point you have to start thinking about shaking things up since we are getting such trash over and over again. And I do not blame the two states they are only working with what is given to them, but maybe if we worked something in we might have a bit more of an open run at the start of the primary season that this country needs. Just a thought. He got clobbered for it in the stories I have read, but sometimes if it gets that much animosity it deserves some deeper reflection.

In one week we went to having a very surreal and once in a lifetime experience to dealing with family drama. Yes the joys of a semi large family.

Part of the good experience involved an extraordinary amount of driving. Now I love driving through our country. We do have a very beautiful country. I do have to say though that after many days of driving back and forth it can get to you. And I am not young anymore. I was wearing out at the end.

And we just missed out on fall foliage. I think just by a week or so. There was some hint of colors in the leaves as we drove through Tennessee and Virginia. Unfortunately we got hit with some rain off and on so it took some of the joy out of the drive. We did see Philadelphia for the first time for a few days. Mostly though we were preoccupied with a particular event…….yes we saw the Pope. We have some pictures that are within 10-15 feet of him driving by. It was definitely quite an experience.

The good officials of Philadelphia, the Church etc I think did a great job overall. We were able to enjoy the trip and events pretty much snag free. One observation I had I can tell you they planned for any and all contingencies. I mean all contingencies it seemed like. The one snag we did run across was a big one though. They needed to have more security entrances or lines to get into the Mass. I think there were many people who were still trying to get through security when Mass started. It took us three hours + and when we did get through the line was two to three times longer than when we started in the morning and it was 2 o’clock. Mass started at four. Otherwise the weekend went well. We enjoyed some tourists moments also. We ate Philly Cheese steaks and loved them. We did some other shopping. There was a great market area in downtown. We saw the Liberty Bell. I think it is a definite must for all of us Americans. And there was more to the Bell’s story than I realized so it was very educational. Much history can be attributed to the bell. It was quite an hour + going through and reading all the info before you get to see the bell and take pictures.

Back to Texas and the Rangers are just about to put me in a hospital. One game, just one game and it is done. Oh well the Angels are still fighting for their playoff lives. It does make a difference. Last game is tomorrow. I do not know the Astros score as I write so maybe it is done. I am going to check after I post this.

And for the Cowboys, who knows what is going to happen now. 8 weeks without Dez and Tony. The offensive line is great, but I do not know if it is great enough to move second string players through 8 games. Lets hope they push through enough wins to leave us a chance. It will still take Tony a game or two to get back into mental game shape, much less physical game shape. My oldest daughter was going to get me a T-shirt that said something along the lines of I didn’t use to drink till Jerry bought the Cowboys or something similar. Well somehow he seems to have given up a bit of control and things have started to go well, then these injuries. Can’t catch a break with any local team right now. And yes that includes this Mavericks summer. Maybe the Stars can go through a season with a normal fighting chance.

And then there is Boehner’s resignation. I tweeted out or sent it out somehow when I was reading all the stories about why he was resigning that it may have been as simple as him having a lucid moment after the Pope spoke at the Capitol building. There is way too much insanity going on in Washington as you well know.

Well it is getting late and I still haven’t caught up on my rest and tomorrow is another crazy day. Got the regular responsibilities, then a family birthday, the Rangers and the Cowboys playing, teaching the youngest to drive some more, but I think tomorrow one of the older siblings is going to take that duty, and a host of weekend chores since today was two family events that lasted till a couple of hours ago.

And oh yeah, the State Fair is going on right now. If you aren’t doing anything head on down to Dallas and enjoy a Corny dog and all sorts of crazy fried things.

And finally (and this is where I put the comment about Boehner) I created a fake facebook page. The name is Matthew John, there is not a photo, and the birthdate is 04/8/1982 and I have no idea where this birthdate came from. I didn’t enter anything and one day it appeared. It also shows me as self employed in case you want to go find it. I created it so I could post on stories that require a facebook log on. Everything should be public. I don’t know how to manage facebook so I am receiving all the posts out from the Cowboys, Rangers, and Mavericks so if you see tons of their info you are probably on the right page. You can read through everything. I know I have promised myself not to post on these stories, but I am a political junkie and these posts knock back the monkey on my back for a while. There are not too many posts because I do maintain some self control and other times I forget to click the little button that says add to Facebook. Every now and then I just link up a story I think should be shared. You do not need to friend me or anything. Just more reading if you are curious.


Gotta love life because what else are we going to do. Have a great fall weather rest of your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment