Thursday, February 21, 2019

The problem with economic snapshots and other comments


I read through a couple of articles and they were addressing one point and how it affected the economy. One mentioned that tax refunds were down significantly this year and was worried about how that might affect the economy. The other mentioned that retail sales were down 9% for the holiday season. Both articles by themselves or in a vacuum may sound bad for the economy, yet neither commented on situations that may have another affect.

And I do not know if my comparisons effected the points being made in the original articles, yet I think we need to look at them. Maybe for the direct effect, but also the overall weigh stories about the economy need to be addressed.

First the tax refund article. One analyst from an investment company had noted how much the average refund was down this year and how much it would weigh on first quarter growth. And there is a good chance it might. The comparative analysis that needed to be done to see if it affects the economy as a whole is how much did the weekly paychecks increase the economy throughout last year. We know now that the withholding tables were adjusted incorrectly after Trump’s tax bill and not enough was withheld for many people that normally rely on large refund checks for their budget. If it effected the economy, then spending would have been down for 2018. If spending had small increases throughout the year or other alternatives such as increased savings or reduced debt, then the first quarter loss is mitigated since the money was already back in the economy.

And then the second article about holiday retail sales being down can be countered were online sales up significantly. If that is the case, then we have a shift in behavior not an impact on sales. The problem of course is increase in online sales means less jobs down the road, so this will have an impact on the economy, yet for now people are confident in their situation so it is not the economy but behavior.

Yet if sales were down even though paychecks were up, and online sales only had modest increases or not enough to counter the loss in retail sales then that is not a good sign. The article by itself is misleading but taken into context with a broader picture tells a truer story. Either way though, the eventual loss of jobs will be bad for our economic outlook.

The same goes for the refunds. If people didn’t or aren’t spending extra or saving extra on a weekly basis then the smaller refund checks could have an impact on first quarter spending or debt reduction. I would add savings for the refund check, however historic behavior is to pay down debt or buy large ticket items such as appliances or furniture for example. This could have an impact down the road also as businesses scale back production or inventory for the summer based on lost sales in the first quarter carried into the second quarter as all the refund checks hit consumers pocket books.

Some have suggested the withholding tables were intentionally distorted to give people larger paychecks to make them feel better about the news around the tax breaks. If so, then it might backfire exponentially as less money is spent throughout the year and then less spent into tax refund season. This loss then translates into less production, in turn less jobs and the cycle gets worse year over year. Yet, the billionaires still get theirs. Hmmmmmmmm

Anyway, the two articles on the surface sound bad for the economy, but to truly tell if bad you need to look if what is reported bad was accounted for somewhere else or not. I do not know either way, but it did bother me the articles had a tunnel vision problem. The tone of the articles was not good and I fear they really reflect a potential slow down in the economy, but we need fuller pictures before we make that call. Thoughts?

And to follow up to some of the last post, I have been slowly working on categorizing all my posts. I started from the beginning and am working forward. I am almost to the point where I wrote a very verbose set of posts on a platform for a fictious new party or rehash of an old party with a platform I still believe in. My last post touched on some themes I had written before and a couple were ideas I added over time. It may seem my perspective is all over the map, yet if you really understand it, there is consistency in the whole. I will update you when I arrive at these posts as we watch the madness about to unfold for 2020. And update again when I reach some of the one off posts I wrote on other issues that I have strong feelings. 2020 should be far away, unfortunately no and we will have to listen to clueless democrats and wait to see if any republicans have any you know what to challenge commander in incompetence.

One of the anchors for the local news is retiring. They are running some human interest stories on the person they have hired to replace him since he is from out of town. I saw one today that caught my attention and not in a good way. I have many children and many are daughters. The new anchor was talking about his children and said the oldest is _____years old and then said the boy is ___ years old and the other is _____ almost ___.  It was subtle, but he identified the male child, however did not identify he had daughters directly. To most this may not seem a big deal, yet people identify their children. I have x boys and y girls etc.   I do not know why, but I caught the way he presented the info on his children and it bothered me. Sometimes it is the little things that say much.

 I do not know how many of you watch a show called “Young Sheldon” which is a spin off from the “Big Bang Theory”. In tonight’s episode mixed in with the over hyped make fun of Texas attitude, which I am not appreciative of, was a statement about corporate quality. Sheldon notices that his bread does not taste the same and learns it is because a company has taken over the brand of bread he is normally eats and now makes it quicker and oops I cannot remember, anyway the point is the brand is now a subsidiary of a larger corporation and is not as well made. Sheldon ends up having to accept the lessor quality bread to appease an over hyped version of an anti-communist community.  As regular readers know I am a big advocate of not succumbing to corporate driven profits over quality attitude. I get on my soap box about how we should not let corporations tell us how to behave as customers and they should make effort to win our business. Too bad the show glossed over the more powerful point to laugh at Texas. So, does the show fall into the same corporate category where poking fun at Texas hoping to appease one audience takes away the more quality driven point it could have made. Hmmmmm again

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment