Friday, December 12, 2014

We can respect



I have an appointment this morning and while driving here was listening to the Herd on ESPN. The President was coming on this morning so they were talking about sports and politics, being conservative or liberal and that it didn't matter either way, that if you get a chance to have the President, you have the President on. Collin said he would have any President etc.

I didn't get to hear the President because of my appointment time, but it did get me to thinking. (yes I know thinking is foolish)

I rail pretty hard on our leaders and I think deservedly so. And it is okay as long as it is for their agendas and actions as leaders. I forget sometimes and I feel our society has really forgotten there needs to be a separation of politics from the person. Personally I think Bush and Obama have made huge policy mistakes as President, but if given the opportunity to have lunch with either I hope I could participate in a respectful manner. We take things so personally nowadays and I think it does our country a disservice.

I don't like giving my age away, however I am old enough to have lived through the Nixon era. I was young and all about how tyrannical the government was and we were all in trouble etc..., but I did get the opportunity to travel to D.C a couple of times then and at times I would feel the awe of being in our Nation's capital. Sometimes you have to let our history and who we are as a country come before our individual gripes with a certain politician's opinions etc. So if House Speaker Boehner wants to invite me to lunch I will be glad to go. I might try to respectfully pick his brain so to speak, but still it would be an honor.

This is not a new topic, but I realize how much we have denigrated in the way we talk about our leaders. Maybe if one were to go out and defecate on a National monument then they might deserve a public outcry on them as a person, but otherwise we have lost much civility.

Another thought that is not unique, but applied is we spend so much of our time trying to look good, yet how much time do we spend doing good. The difference here is what separates people that have value and add value from those who are destroying our society from within, but we damn we look good while screwing up.

Granted I will continue to bash leaders from both parties till they start actually representing the people of this country or we get new leaders who do. I hope though, I remember what I have said here and apply my criticisms appropriately.

In the end, are we judged on how we appear or what we did. I hope I strive for the latter.

Have a great weekend.



First we prepare our hearts, then we celebrate our joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment