Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The NBA and Checker pieces

As you know I am a major Mavericks fan, yet I am not a fan of the current trade talks. I am of the opinion that if you make a trade it should bring you kings, not just move pieces to move pieces. And yes some of this has to do with the Anthony Davis rumors and some of it is in general.

I saw an article by somebody about potential trades for the Mavs to get Anthony Davis or not even better Holiday. Why? First of all why give up 60% of your starting rotation to get one player even one as good as Davis. Yes you get one “king me” piece but you lose too many pieces to get there. Eventually you lose the checkers match because you just don’t have enough kings, much less pieces all together. With the right strategy you can overcome the “king me” piece if you play all your players well and work to get the true crown. I think it would be nice to have Davis, but at what cost. Pros and cons people, pros and cons. I know our roster isn’t the best out there, yet it is very good. I say over and over again they are underperforming and that is Carlisle’s fault. I would prefer he figure it out, (I still like him as our coach) and make a serious run this year as is.

We can worry about next year, next year. And I know we do not have the best history in free agency, but with free agency we have the chance to add without too much subtraction even if we keep most of what we have and pick up one major piece. I also wish we kept our draft pick for next year also, but that is water under the bridge now. And yes keep Dennis Smith Jr too. DSJ and Doncic can be a productive backcourt. It may not happen overnight, but the GS Warriors didn’t become champions the first year Curry and Thompson played together. Yes, they had more cohesiveness going in, but still give the kids time. Our bench is solid, so a major addition with keeping DSJ, Doncic, possibly Barnes and/or Jordan and Matthews with team friendly contracts to a small degree then add a top of the line two way shooting guard and/or power forward possibly only losing one or two of the above is better long term management. Still means playing better this year is our best bet for now. Unless some trade comes along that is so tilted in the Mavs favor, do not do anything. Trading pieces to trade pieces mid year without a substantial and significant upgrade is a waste of time. Remember the Rondo trade????????? And make sure it is significant and substantial period.

Also I saw they fined Anthony Davis because of this trade talk. I think maybe the league should look at banning or suspending the agent. On the surface it seems he may be involved with a bit of tampering and if AD goes to LA, wow… I would definitely think the possibility of him being banned should be considered.  At the very least a long suspension. The NBA needs to stand up for their future and all 30 teams. The fans are the reason for Pro Sports so all the fans deserve a chance to cheer for a championship. I understand agents are to work for their clients, yet for the good of the whole game the NBA has to manage its product.

On a completely separate note. People always complain about jury duty, don’t want the hassle etc and are always looking for an out when they are called. I have one piece of advice. Read your local news thoroughly on a regular basis. Just do it. For reasons I cannot explain this would have worked for a whole jury panel if they had been paying attention to the news locally over the last few years. There are people involved I like so I won’t say more, but heed my advice, even small stories can pay big dividends.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment