Monday, January 28, 2019

We know it is crazy, but did we know it is this crazy


Over the weekend the better half told me that over 400 people have registered to run for President in 2020. I already thought the number of Democrats saying they are running or thinking about it was too much. Now I am hit with the over 400 number. Sheesh!

She said I should run. I hadn’t realized she was applying to go on Comedy Central. Seriously though I guess I could. The only thing holding me back are one of three things: I am not a narcissist, I am not that ambitious/power hungry, or generally I am pretty lazy. It is definitely one of these three items.

And on a more practical note, this is why we need campaign reform. Trump immediately filed to run in 2020 when he won in 2016. Just the number of Democrats joining the fray is more than a bit much. No one and I mean no one should be able to even explore publicly running until January of the election year. Primaries start in April and run through June. And this might cause some States some burdens to start this change, but after a couple of election cycles they should have it down.  The Conventions in August with a moratorium on campaign ads and appearances in July and after the Conventions till Labor Day. At this point they could campaign in earnest. And in my opinion, this is still too much, but at least it might bring the body politic some respite from this constant madness. And we should shorten the elections for other offices too. I have previously posted a more detailed idea for campaign reform, but after hearing the better half blurt the above information, I had to reinforce the idea of reigning in this madness.

The reform also goes along with campaign finance reform, creating legislation that overturns Citizens United, and lobbying reform. I have previously posted ideas on all this madness, but every now and then you feel you have to run screaming through your own blog, enough is enough!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment