Monday, November 30, 2020

It is like that old person who won’t stop talking about their gout or whatever

 Over and over again you read the same stories, talking about the same thing and nothing changes.


It is becoming a broken record...static static click, static static click repeating because the needle is stuck on the turnstile.


It is the old man in the 70′s sitcom where they make the same joke over and over again because of some ailment or they constantly are having to go to the bathroom. Damn it, the joke is old.


Or the worse case scenario, the movie Ground Hog’s Day and none of us get out of the day till some miracle happens and we figure out what we should have figured out weeks ago. 


One day there will be something new in the news cycle. We won’t have to drudge through another article hoping that something different has happened or some promise of a check that will never arrive keeps getting bantered about or that people will quit being angry about nothing because their feelings are hurt. 


You have to be careful, the last time the world got this stuck we ended up in this pandemic predicament with a heaping dose of election madness dolled out like whip cream on pumpkin pie. We definitely do not want another year of that much madness, but at the same time the news regurgitates these two stories to the point we are tired of it all. The next time someone tells me their rights are taken away because they have to wear a mask I will scream into their nostrils. I won’t, but stupid is as stupid does. Or the next time someone writes an article about how someone had their comeuppance on Twitter which is no more than a bunch of pretentious people patting themselves on the back for name calling someone who wrote something idiotic in a Tweet. I will rip their tweeting fingernails off. I won’t but stupid is as stupid does.


Heck are we headed towards another Middle East war?

What revolution is coming next?

Did Kim Jong-Un launch another rocket?

How many people are starving in the world?

Are there any polar ice caps left? 

Did they cancel Christmas?

The news feeds are pandemic and pandonald ranting about being robbed in an election. 

We could have landed on Mars and no one would know.

And at some point in the near future a bunch of politicians will pass an irresponsible budget so we can keep our government open even though the Donald has spent the last four years trying to tear this same government down. And one of the few things he has managed to come close to accomplishing. 

Heck the only new news was when I read that Oklahoma is the biggest pot smoking state in the country or something like that. Oklahoma?!?!?! I thought that was a bad musical. Maybe there is hope because up until then the best thing Oklahoma did was bring us Merle Haggard. I do not care if you are left or right, fascist or commie, Democrat or Republican, independent or apathetic, if you do not like Merle Haggard there is something wrong with you. 

“The first thing I remember knowin'
Was a lonesome whistle blowin'
And a young un's dream of growin' up to ride
On a freight train leavin' town
Not knowin' where I'm bound
And no one could change my mind but Mama tried
One and only rebel child
From a family, meek and mild
My Mama seemed to know what lay in store
Despite all my Sunday learnin'
Towards the bad, I kept on turnin'
'Til Mama couldn't hold me anymore

And I turned twenty-one in prison doin' life without parole
No one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried
Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied
That leaves only me to blame 'cause Mama tried

Dear old Daddy, rest his soul
Left my Mom a heavy load
She tried so very hard to fill his shoes
Workin' hours without rest
Wanted me to have the best
She tried to raise me right but I refused

And I turned twenty-one in prison doin' life without parole
No one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried
Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied
That leaves only me to blame 'cause Mama tried”

Merle Haggard

Who knows I may get in trouble for printing the lyrics, but that would be par for the course now wouldn’t it?

And if you are really paying attention you know a new year has started and hopefully we will begin a new. This week is Hope.

Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment